Can I stay cool and lower my electric bill this summer?
It might be the end of August but summer’s not over! Late summer has at least two ways of making you sweat: high temperatures and high electric bills. With the National Weather Service predicting higher than average temperatures for August and into the fall, you aren’t about to get any relief from the weather any time soon. But there are a few simple things you can do to cut your Illuminating Company electric bill and still beat the heat in Cleveland!
Save money on your Cleveland electric bill with these 5 tips.
- Thermostat: Set your thermostat a few degrees higher and you’ll save tons of money on your electric bill. Adjust the thermostat by 7-10 degrees for 8 hours a day, and you could save as much as 10%! Programmable thermostats are a great tool to help with temperature settings. You can program it to a higher temperature while you’re out during the day and have it kick on automatically so your home is comfortable when you arrive.
- Shade and Ventilation: Night time temperatures are lower, so open your windows and turn on some fans to bring cool air into the house. As daytime temperatures rise, close everything and cover your windows with curtains and shades, insulated curtains are best. You might be able to avoid using AC for days if you can keep the house cool this way.
- Cook Smart: Using the oven or even just boiling water generates heat in your house and makes your Cleveland energy bill go up. Plan meals that don’t need the oven or range or do your cooking outside on the grill.
- Hot Water Woes: By lowering your water heater setting to 120 degrees, you’ll save money and make your home more efficient. But, even at this lower setting, every time you use hot water, you’re still heating up your house. You can also reduce hot water woes by taking shorter or cooler showers, ventilating the bathroom while you bathe, washing clothes in cold water, or running the washer in the evening.
- Shop for a Cheap Electric Rate at Ohio Energy Ratings: Your best bet to save money on your electric bill while staying cool is to compare Ohio electric rates and find the best provider in Cleveland. When you take the opportunity to see all the available rates in your area, you can switch to a new electric plan that makes sense and saves you money!
How can I use Ohio Energy Ratings to save money in Cleveland this summer?
It’s easy to use Ohio Energy Ratings to compare electric plans apples-to-apples and save. Simply visit the site, type in your zip code, and see the available plans in your area. With all the information conveniently organized and easy to navigate, you’ll be able to choose a new electric plan to save you money fast.